The SCADA Engineer is responsible for many distinct aspects of system engineering, system design, system architecture, and commissioning services on all types of utility scale renewable energy projects across the southeast and beyond. In the position, you will be a critical team member that will help us design, install, program, and commission renewable energy projects for our many different customers. As such, the successful candidate may be required to travel at times depending on the timing, scope, location and needs of the projects you will be assigned.
Specific job duties for the SCADA Engineer:
- Responsible for SCADA System design and drawings, using CAD, Visio, Bluebeam, and other tools.
- Responsible for configuring electronic equipment (meters, network interfaces, third-party communication devices) with their initial settings and assess their operation using PC’s, software applications and related hand tools.
- Responsible for remote support troubleshooting sensors and instrumentation, equipment settings, serial and Ethernet communications and enabling or restoring full connectivity, ensuring accurate data flow to various web portal and SCADA vendors.
- Consults with users, administrators, and engineers to identify business and technical requirements for proposed SCADA system modifications and design.
- Perform remote and field service work on all types of systems including data loggers, weather stations, network equipment, and protocol adapters. The ability to diagnose and troubleshoot communications issues is a critical required skill.
Additional job duties:
- Responsible for onsite SCADA system commissioning and reporting to customers.
- Responsible for IP Network Topology and Modbus Network design and drawings.
- Review and evaluate requests from engineers, managers, and technicians for system modifications.
- Performs other job-related tasks as assigned by the Operations Manager.
A successful SCADA Engineer should possess the following attributes:
- A Humble approach that defines success collectively and not individually. Quick to give credit while slow to accept it, not thinking less of yourself but of yourself less! Works well with management, co-workers, and other project team members and can lead while mentoring others.
- Hungry to reach their challenges and goals by being diligent, consistent, and self-motivated. Has a commitment to high-quality and craftmanship in all aspects of their performance.
- Smart common-sense approach that includes listening, asking good questions, good judgement, and staying engaged. Is curious and Innovative asking good questions, seeking great answers.
- Dedicated to serving people with honesty, Integrity, and Excellence.
- A creative problem solver seeking opportunities in challenges and providing excellent Service to everyone.
The ideal candidate will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Associate degree in Electrical Engineering or other related discipline. Other applicable education will be considered.
- Has at least 6 months real-world engineering experience, preferably within the electrical/controls/SCADA industries. Other related experience will be considered.
- OSHA 10 certification required, either already held or will be trained to these safety levels.
- Basic networking experience required. CompTIA+, CCNA, or other advanced networking certification preferred.
Other skills and abilities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 including Teams, Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Knowledge of project management, commissioning, and CAD software required. Bluebeam, Procore, Microsoft Visio, and BlueRithm experience is a plus.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, shop drawings, technical manuals, and equipment wiring schematics.
- Willing to travel, sometimes extensively to remote project sites in the US.
- Be locally based within the Charlotte, NC metro area (~50-60 miles)
Certificates and licenses:
- Valid driver’s license (Class C) and car insurance.
- Safe driving record (as determined by the organizations insurance carrier) required
- OSHA 10 required.
- While performing the duties of this job the team member required to talk or hear more than 2/3 of the day.
- The team member is required to stand, sit, and walk to complete office related activities and in termination of wire, cable, and fiber.
- The team member will be required to climb ladders, wear safety equipment, lift and carry materials up to 75 lbs., stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl in awkward positions.
- The team member will be required to drive to project locations.
- Team member will be exposed to an office and or workshop environment where working conditions are typically quiet, and temperature controlled. These activities are 70% of the team member’s time.
- Team member will be exposed to project sites under construction with the following conditions an average of 20% of their time:
– Weather conditions such as heat, humidity, dampness, or cold
– Working around machinery, vehicles, and moving objects that cause excessive noise, possible fumes, and odors.
- Team member will be exposed to driving a company vehicle an average of 10% of their time.
Your success will be our success and we desire experience in these areas:
- Has a history of successfully building and completing technical projects with a high degree of quality.
- Can use the correct tools and technology to accomplish project tasks efficiently.
- Can work well with internal and external engineers and other project management and technical personnel.
- The ability and drive to perform outstanding work under varied site conditions with a minimum of supervision.
- In-depth knowledge regarding the proper use of electrical construction tools, computer/data logging hardware and software to accomplish project tasks in a timely manner.
- The ability to learn from firsthand experience and training from our staff, vendors, and customers while at the same time, being able to train, guide, and oversee other technicians.
- Building positive two-way relationships with customers, vendors, and site subcontractors
- Completing tasks and projects on time and on budget consistently
- The ability to innovate and communicate new ideas that will improve project efficiency and profitability.
Job Type: Full-time